Tomato – 1/4 kg or 4-5 nos
Madras onions or Small onions – a small cup
Garlic – 5 – 10
Ginger – 2 inches piece
Green Chilli – 2
Red Chilli – 4
Pottu kadalai or fried gram dhal – 2 tsp
Coconut scrapings – 2 tsp
Cinnamom(pattai) -two small pieces
Clove (Lavangam)- 2
Poppy seeds (kasa kasa) – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds( Sombu or perunjeeragam) – 1 tsp
Oil- 6 tsp
Mustard -1 tsp
Channa and urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – to garnish
Salt – to taste
1. Take a tawa, add little oil and fry red and green chilli; onion; tomato; ginger and garlic; clove, cinnamom, fennel seeds and poppy seeds; coconut scrapings and fried gram, each separately.
2. Allow it to come to room temperature.
3. Now grind all the ingredients to a fine paste adding little water.
4. Now take a tawa, heat 2 tsp oil and add mustard, urad, channa dhal and curry leaves.
5. Add the grinded gravy and add salt.
6. Allow it to boil for 5 mins and serve hot.
This serves as a best side dish for blank items like idli, dosa and rice. This gravy will taste spicy.