Vazhakai Kootu or Vazhakai Poricha Kootu or Plantain Kootu
Plaintain or raw banana – 2
Black eyed peas – 1 cup
Grated Coconut – 3 tsp
Red Chilli – 4
Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Channa Dhal – 2 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard, oil, urad dhal – 1 tsp each
Salt – to taste
Tamarind – a small piece
Turmeric – a pinch
Asafoetida – a pinch
Water – as required
Curry leaves – to garnish
1. Remove the skin and clean the plaintain and keep them chopped.
2. Do not leave it outside in air as it will turn black. Always cut the raw banana and place them inside water.
3. Get the black eyed peas or the white kaaramani cooked.
4. Take a tawa, add little oil and fry channa dhal, coriander seeds, red chilli and curry leaves.
5. Get them grinded along with coconut and asafoetida into a fine paste adding little water.
6. Add little water and prepare tamarind juice.
7. Take a tawa, add plantain and add sufficient water to get it cooked.
8. Add tamarind juice when its half cooked and add turmeric and kaaramani and mix well.
9. Leave it for few mins and add the grounded paste along with salt and allow it to boil for few seconds.
10. Garnish with coconut oil and roasted mustard and urad dhal.
Note: Make sure the kootu is in a gravy consistency. If needed add little water while mixing the grinded paste.