Malai Kofta Recipe
For the Kofta:
potatoes - 5
Grated paneer- 3 tsp
cashewnuts chopped- 4-5
raisins - 1 tbsp
finely chopped green chillies - 2-3
sugar - 1/4 tsp
coriander powder - 1 tsp
cumin powder - 1 tsp
red-chilli powder - 1 tsp
cardammom powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To Taste
cooking oil/ghee - 3 tbsp
Oil - for frying the koftas
For the gravy:
onions chopped - 2
Garlic crushed - 2
ginger crushed- 1 inch
tomato puree - 3 tomatoes
red-chilli powder -1 tsp
garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
corainder powder - 1/2 tsp
cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
powdered poppy seeds - 2 tsp
sugar - 1/2 tsp
ground peanuts/cashewnuts - 1 tbsp
1. Boil the potatoes till tender.
2. Peel, mash and add salt to taste and keep it aside.
3. Mix all the other ingredients for the kofta into a paste.
4. Make rounds of the potato dough and place a little of the prepared mixture in the center of each round.
5. Seal the edges and shape into stuffed rounds. Deep fry each kofta till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
6. Blend together the onions, ginger, garlic and the poppy seeds and fry in 3 tbsp of oil till brown and the oil begins to seperate.
7. Add the pureed tomatoes and the masala powders.
8. Add the sugar and the ground peanuts.
9. The gravy will begin to thicken. You can also add some malai to thicken it some more.
10.Mix in some water if necessary.
11.When the gravy comes to a boil, add the koftas. Heat through and serve the malai kofta.
Note: In this malai kofta receipe , the koftas should be put in just before eating the dish or else they will turn soggy.